city of San Antonio


Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 19-5660   
Type: Capital Improvements
In control: City Council A Session
On agenda: 8/22/2019
Posting Language: Ordinance revising the Advanced Funding Agreement with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) previously authorized by Ordinance 2019-01-31-0100; accepting reimbursement in an amount not to exceed $968,000.00 from TxDOT for construction-related expenses; and approving payment in the amount not to exceed $12,166.00 to TxDOT for administrative oversight of federal funds for the Judson Road Sidewalks Project, funded by previously authorized Certificates of Obligation and federal funds. [Roderick Sanchez, Assistant City Manager; Razi Hosseini, Interim Director, Transportation & Capital Improvements]
Attachments: 1. Judson AFA_Revised, 2. Staff Presentation, 3. Ordinance 2019-08-22-0653

DEPARTMENT: Transportation & Capital Improvements

 

 

DEPARTMENT HEAD: Razi Hosseini, P.E., R.P.L.S.

 

 

COUNCIL DISTRICTS IMPACTED: 10

 

 

SUBJECT: 

 

Revised Advanced Funding Agreement:  Judson Road Sidewalks Project

 

 

SUMMARY:

 

An ordinance authorizing the revision of the Advanced Funding Agreement between the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and the City of San Antonio previously authorized by Ordinance 2019-01-31-0100, accepting reimbursement in the estimated amount not to exceed $968,000.00 from TxDOT for construction-related  expenses and authorizing payment in the amount not to exceed $12,166.00 to TxDOT for administrative oversight of federal funds for the Judson Road Sidewalks Project, funded by previously authorized Certificates of Obligation and federal funds, located in Council District 10. 

 

 

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

 

Project Background

The Judson Road Sidewalks Project from Independence Avenue to Interstate 35 will provide sidewalks, curbs, accessibility ramps and mill and overlay of pavement along the west side of Judson Road as part of the City’s commitment to maintaining and improving existing infrastructure.  The City will design and construct the improvements leveraging funding from TxDOT.

 

This project was selected for funding through the Alamo Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (AAMPO) Transportation Improvement Program (TIP).  Local Agency Managed projects are managed by the City but receive federal funds administered through TxDOT.  The funds paid to TxDOT by the City are for costs associated with oversight for administration of the federal funds.

 

Previous Council Action

An Advanced Funding Agreement between the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and the City of San Antonio accepting reimbursement in the estimated amount not to exceed $968,000.00 from TxDOT for construction-related expenses and authorizing payment in the amount not to exceed $12,166.00 to TxDOT for administrative oversight of federal funds for the Judson Road Sidewalks Project was approved by City Council on January 31, 2019 through Ordinance 2019-01-31-0100.  Upon approval of the Advanced Funding Agreement, TxDOT requested language revisions to the Agreement before the final execution of the agreementThe required revisions will not impact the scope of work or funding for the Project.

 

Project construction is anticipated to begin in March 2020 and estimated to be completed September 2020.

 

 

ISSUE:

 

This ordinance authorizes the revision of the Advanced Funding Agreement between the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and the City of San Antonio previously authorized by Ordinance 2019-01-31-0100, accepting reimbursement in the estimated amount not to exceed $968,000.00 from TxDOT for construction-related expenses and authorizing payment in the amount not to exceed $12,166.00 to TxDOT for administrative oversight of federal funds for the Judson Road Sidewalks Project, funded by previously authorized Certificates of Obligation and federal funds, located in Council District 10. 

 

Upon approval of the Advanced Funding Agreement through Ordinance 2019-01-31-0100 between the City and TxDOT, TxDOT requested language revisions to the Agreement before final execution of the Agreement stating the City will complete the project without additional TxDOT contributions in the event additional funds are required above the amounts agreed upon.  The required language revisions will not impact the scope of work or funding for the Project.

 

The Project will provide sidewalks, curbs, accessibility ramps and mill and overlay of pavement along the west side of Judson Road from Independence Avenue to Interstate 35.  The City will design, advertise and oversee the construction of the improvements leveraging funding from TxDOT.  Project construction is anticipated to begin in March 2020 and estimated to be completed by September 2020.

 

This project was selected for funding through the Alamo Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (AAMPO) Transportation Improvement Program (TIP).  As a requirement of the TIP, the local agency is responsible for 20% of the construction cost with the remaining 80% being provided federally through TxDOT.  This Advanced Funding Agreement with TxDOT will allow construction-related project costs to qualify for federal cost sharing up to the federally approved amount not to exceed $968,000.00.  The remaining cost of $242,000.00 will be the responsibility of the City of San Antonio.

 

Approval of this ordinance will be a continuation of the City’s commitment to maintaining and improving existing infrastructure in collaboration with other governmental agencies and does not impact the original scope of work or funding.

 

 

ALTERNATIVES:

 

As an alternative, City Council could choose not to approve this ordinance authorizing language revisions to the Advanced Funding Agreement between the City and TxDOT; however, the City will lose the opportunity to receive reimbursement from TxDOT and delay the project. 

 

 

FISCAL IMPACT:

 

This ordinance authorizes the revision of the Advanced Funding Agreement between the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and the City of San Antonio previously authorized by Ordinance 2019-01-31-0100 for the Judson Road Sidewalks Project, funded by previously authorized Certificates of Obligation and federal funds.  The required language revisions requested by TxDOT will not impact the scope of work or funding for the Project.

 

The agreement will allow 80% of funds in the amount of $968,000.00 to be reimbursed by TxDOT as part of the federal Local Agency Management Program.  The remaining 20% of the funds in the amount of $242,000.00 is available from previously authorized Certificates of Obligation.  Actual costs to be reimbursed by TxDOT will be finalized with the award of a construction contract.  Payment in an amount not to exceed $12,166.00 to TxDOT for administrative oversight of federal funds is also associated with this project.

 

 

RECOMMENDATION:

 

Staff recommends approval of this ordinance authorizing the revision of the Advanced Funding Agreement between the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and the City of San Antonio previously authorized by Ordinance 2019-01-31-0100, accepting reimbursement in the estimated amount not to exceed $968,000.00 from TxDOT for construction-related expenses and authorizing payment in the amount not to exceed $12,166.00 to TxDOT for administrative oversight of federal funds for the Judson Road Sidewalks Project.