city of San Antonio


Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 19-6697   
Type: Miscellaneous Item
In control: City Council A Session
On agenda: 9/12/2019
Posting Language: Ordinance approving a Funding Agreement with The Witte Museum for a Historic American Buildings Survey, stabilization and exterior renovations of the city-owned historic Twohig House at The Witte Museum in Brackenridge Park for an amount not to exceed $150,000.00. Funding is available from the Parks and Recreation Department’s General Fund FY 2019 budget. [Colleen M. Bridger, MPH, PhD, Assistant City Manager; Homer Garcia III, Interim Director, Parks & Recreation]
Attachments: 1. Funding Agreement with The Witte Museum, 2. Contracts Disclosure Form - Brady Haynes with The Witte Museum 9-5-2019, 3. Draft Ordinance, 4. Ordinance 2019-09-12-0726
Related files: 19-6128
DEPARTMENT: Parks and Recreation


DEPARTMENT HEAD: Homer Garcia III, Interim Director


COUNCIL DISTRICTS IMPACTED: District 2


SUBJECT:

Funding Agreement with The Witte Museum


SUMMARY:

This ordinance authorizes the Parks and Recreation Department to execute a Funding Agreement with The Witte Museum for a Historic American Buildings Survey, stabilization and exterior renovations of the city-owned historic Twohig House at the Witte Museum in Brackenridge Park for an amount not to exceed $150,000.00. Funding of $150,000 is available from the Parks and Recreation Department's General Fund FY 2019 budget.


BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

The city-owned historic Twohig House is a two story building erected in 1841 on the San Antonio River by John Twohig, a San Antonio pioneer and prosperous merchant. The house was built entirely of local limestone and later added a surrounding garden and small guesthouses.

The property was eventually passed into ownership of the San Antonio Public Service Company, and was later donated and moved in 1942 to the grounds of The Witte Museum in Brackenridge Park. The house was moved stone-by-stone by the Work Progress Administration (WPA) and reconstructed at the eastern border on the riverside, in a similar position to its previous location downtown. The Historic Buildings Foundation oversaw the relocation of the building. The building, which has not moved since the 1970's, is in need of stabilization and renovations.

Renovations will include a Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), stabilization and exterior renovations and will ensure the city-owned historic Twohig House is protected from the elements. The proposed funding agreement shall not exceed $150,000.00 and will commence upon execution and terminate September 30, 2020, or upon project completion.


ISSUE:

This ordinance authorizes the Parks and Recreation Department to execute a funding agreement with The Witte Museum for a Historic American Buildings Survey, ...

Click here for full text