city of San Antonio


Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 19-7541   
Type: Capital Improvements
In control: City Council A Session
On agenda: 10/31/2019
Posting Language: Ordinance awarding a construction contract to Rural Electric, Inc. for the Runway Guard Lights project at the San Antonio International Airport in the amount of $1,088,676.50. Funding from the Federal Aviation Administration Airport Improvement Program provides 75% of the contract with the City's 25% match from the Airport Improvement & Contingency Fund. These funds are available and budgeted in the FY 2020 – FY 2025 Capital Improvement Program Budget. [Carlos Contreras, Assistant City Manager; Russell Handy, Director, Aviation]
Indexes: Aviation Contract, FAA Grants
Attachments: 1. Recommendation Letter, 2. Draft Ordinance, 3. Ordinance 2019-10-31-0874
Related files: 19-5362
DEPARTMENT: Aviation


DEPARTMENT HEAD: Russell J. Handy


COUNCIL DISTRICTS IMPACTED: Citywide


SUBJECT:

Construction Contract Award to Rural Electric, Inc. for the Runway Guard Lights at the San Antonio International Airport


SUMMARY:

City Council consideration of an ordinance awarding a construction contract to Rural Electric, Inc. for the Runway Guard Lights project at the San Antonio International Airport in the amount of $1,088,676.50.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Airport Improvement Program (AIP) grant provides $816,507.00, or 75%, of the funding with the remaining 25%, or $272,169.50, is available from the Airport Improvement & Contingency Fund. These funds are budgeted in the FY 2020 - FY 2025 Capital Improvement Program Budget.


BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

On August 8, 2019, City Council authorized the submittal of a grant application for a FAA AIP grant and acceptance of funds through Ordinance No. 2019-08-08-0594 for the Runway Guard Lights project at the San Antonio International airport. This project will purchase and install elevated and in-pavement runway guard lights in order to improve the visibility of runway holding positions in all conditions, including inclement weather and time of day, to reduce potential runway incursions by both ground vehicles and aircraft. On September 23, 2019, the City was notified it would receive the FAA AIP grant.

The project will include the purchase and installation of 14 pairs of elevated runway guard lights and two sets of in-pavement runway guard lights at multiple taxiway and runway intersections at the San Antonio International Airport. The project will include installing nearly 16,000 feet of new concrete encased duct bank; 76,500 feet of airfield electrical cabling; and guard light fixtures and base cans. This project will also include taxiway concrete kerf saw-cutting.


ISSUE:

On July 17, 2019, the City released an Invitation For Bids (low bid) solicitation for this project a...

Click here for full text